Tuesday, September 23, 2014

How does social media impact my life...

The impact social media has on my life is truly dependent on my mental vulnerability at any given point. In the past when I have been stressed out or resentful towards certain people, I have caught myself conjuring the social media world up to be an environment of hostility and - worse - an ongoing, yet entirely meaningless popularity contest among peers. With a negative mindset, my brain automatically classifies every post I encounter on social media under "annoying," "boring," or "offensive." Social media is essentially a virtual stage; when we log on, the floor is ours and we are allowed to speak our minds. Often times, however, I believe people lose sight of their audience - this is when posts start to offend others. On the flip side, when manipulated appropriately, social media can be incredibly influential and a very powerful tool. Social media has enhanced all levels of communication. I rely on social media to stay in touch, informed, and updated. Admittedly, I do not remember the last time I picked up a newspaper and read an article in full. In closing, someone once told me, "treat social media as if you were walking down the street - you wouldn't walk down the street naked, you wouldn't walk down the street cursing at people...so, don't expose yourself on social media in ways you wouldn't if you were just walking down the street." 

4 comments:

  1. Spot on Julie!
    I agree that social media has created a hostile and competitive ecosystem that has run out of control. For almost my four years of undergraduate I had facebook deleted because it became a mean for people to post some ridiculous stuff that are really unnecessary. I have witness myself close friends of mine getting their personal lifes tainted with innapropiate comments and posts which really got me upset. I signed up for facebook this past summer and only try have my REAL friends in my list. When I post something is either a song that would like to share with everybody to see if they like it too and some kind of awareness article to better inform people about issues that have not gotten much attention on the mainstream media. I agree that social media if used correctly and responsibly could be a great tool for the distribution of information.
    Very good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shea,

      I like your idea of deleting your account in an effort to filter out the people who weren't necessarily your close friends. I deleted my Facebook a long time ago because I realized that I allowed my feed to become clouded with information and updates from people who I barely knew. I felt uncomfortable knowing so much about people who I didn't consider myself to be close to; similarly, while I want to keep in touch with my close circles - and keep those people informed and updated on my life - it is highly unnecessary for a population of 500+ "friends" to follow my day-to-day life via online posts. Luckily, I realized that I can control who knows what about my life - apparently you have as well :)

      Delete
    2. exactly my thoughts. now with my new facebook I make huge effort and that the people I have as friends are actually my friends and those who are not get chopped away from my "exclusive" friends list

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete